Marketing professional with more than 30 years’ experience in the design and direction of sales and marketing programs for a wide variety of organizations.
- Successful in driving new business and generating revenue.
- Proven skills for building product visibility and industry presence.
- Effective in persuading, motivating and mentoring others.
- Entrepreneur with cross-functional business knowledge, keen instincts and powerful ability to anticipate trends.
- Immediate value includes track record in opportunity identification, market intelligence, go-to-market strategies, creative branding and team leadership.
- Able to function effectively in startup, growth and turnaround environments.
- Sharp, focused, confident and naturally creative.
- A select list of clients includes: Advanstar Communications, American Chemical Society, American Red Cross, American Society for Microbiology, Cable & Wireless, Consumer Electronics Association, Freddie Mac, National Association of Home Builders, Sage Software, T. Rowe Price, United Way Worldwide and Verizon.
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR • 2015-Present
Provide on-demand copywriting services to associations, businesses and government agencies.
ITN INTERNATIONAL • 2011-2014
Vice President, Marketing
Drive sales of a fast-moving tech firm by increasing company name recognition and cultivating clients and prospects. Manage design, messaging and rollout of all inbound and outbound marketing campaigns; identify and develop PR opportunities; produce private events; and provide senior executives and staff advice on marketing and sales strategies and tactics.
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR • 1998-2011
Provide marketing strategies and services to small and mid-size businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Developed corporate sponsorship program for National Mining Association that produced $1.5 million in new revenue in 1 year.
- Identified opportunity for telemarketing campaign for American Beverage Association that achieved 400% ROI in 1 month.
- Authored, implemented and marketed an annual research study that positioned Frost Miller Group as an industry-leading provider of marketing services to associations and business media companies.
- Conceived and led nationwide campaign to promote engineering careers to hundreds of thousands of high school students through a documentary produced by Discovery Channel and the Society of Fire Protection Engineers.
- Originated concept for www.lawyers.com for Martindale-Hubbell, the original Web portal for law firms; 10 years later, the site is still #1 among consumers seeking an attorney.
- Supported research- and content-intensive marketing efforts of clients critical to Frost Miller Group’s credibility, including The Electrical Alliance, Centennial Contractors and National Association of Home Builders.
- Formulated turnaround and growth strategies for American Society of Microbiology. One-year study of internal operations and external audiences resulted in new strategies adopted by senior management.
- Drove $3.5 million in new business for marketing communications firm Frost Miller Group by targeting producers of major annual events; increased company revenues 115% in 4 years.
- Won and supported significant multi-year consulting contract from Philippines’ Department of Commerce.
- Directed new target marketing, positioning and pricing for Foundation Marketing Group, a b-2-b telemarketing firm, more than doubling its lead-conversion rate.
- Represented Frost Miller Group at numerous conferences as spokesperson. Presented white papers at conferences in New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Las Vegas and Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Cultivated productive relationships with members of the trade press covering industries targeted by Frost Miller Group and its diverse clients that resulted in frequent publicity and exposure.
- Developed and launched highly successful professional journal Fire Protection Engineering, now celebrating its 10th anniversary
- Transformed marketing campaign for a C-level conference, increasing attendance 29% in 1 year.
- Reshaped image of Armacost Antiques Shows, increasing event attendance by the public and enabling price increases that boosted revenue 25% in 2 years. Instituted content-driven social media effort that catapulted firm to 4th position in organic search engine results and generated significant publicity.
- Led creative team that rebranded a rapidly declining trade association, National Association for Credit Management, increasing membership by 7% in 12 months.
- Formed, trained and led research and consulting teams that delivered comprehensive branding studies for Freddie Mac Foundation and International Association of Fire Chiefs.
- Coached team of junior account executives for Frost Miller Group in fundamentals of effective client service, account retention and new business development, resulting in improved performance.
- Directed branding of government technology conference, resulting in successful event launch and rapid growth over 3-year period; event was acquired after 3rd year for $5 million.
FIXATION MARKETING • 1986-1998
Reported to the president of a 25-person firm specializing in marketing for associations. Responsible for new business development and key accounts, including American Iron and Steel Institute, Automotive Parts and Accessories Association, Consumer Electronics Association, Food Marketing Institute, Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute and National Association of School Boards. Co-led development of a dynamic graphic design studio into a full-service marketing communications firm; increased annual income from $3 million to $9 million in 12 years. Directed creative team whose marketing campaign boosted market share of steel roofing in the US by 2 percent in 3 years. Led branding efforts that propelled Consumer Electronics Show to top rank among tradeshows in the US.
FREDDIE MAC • 1979-1986
Manager of Advertising & Promotions
Managed 12-person advertising department for this Fortune 100 company with responsibility for advertising campaigns, direct mail programs, trade show participation, technical publications, collateral material and corporate ID. Developed and managed $8.5 million annual budget. Co-led aggressive branding efforts that increased revenue by 700% in 1 year.
• BA, Georgetown University. MA, Georgetown University.
• Graduate Certificate, Editing & Publications, Georgetown University.